Sourdough Bread

I did it!  I made my own sourdough bread starter and baked a very tasty (if my children are to be believed) loaf of bread which we consumed immediately.  I would post a picture, but as I mentioned we ate it all.

I know this may not sound impressive, but you have to understand that we live at 7400+.   I owe my gratitude to this recipe and the starter that I found on her site.  Admittedly, I will have to make a few more minor adjustments to her recipe for the altitude since the loaf fell a bit in the middle.  When I baked the initial loaf I reduced the yeast by -1/4 teaspoon and will reduce it by another -1/4 teaspoon to hopefully achieve a loaf with a beautiful cap crust.  However, even though it fell a bit the texture was spot on and it was light and aromatic.

I've fed the starter and it is sitting in the corner of the kitchen bubbling away.  I'm sure I will be baking another loaf this week when my darling gets back home since his love of sourdough bread is what started this journey in the first place.

Comments

  1. Great job!! Like so many things you tackled that challenge head on. I have no doubt you'll be baking all sorts of yummy treats in no time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?