Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Sourdough Bread

I did it!  I made my own sourdough bread starter and baked a very tasty (if my children are to be believed) loaf of bread which we consumed immediately.  I would post a picture, but as I mentioned we ate it all.

I know this may not sound impressive, but you have to understand that we live at 7400+.   I owe my gratitude to this recipe and the starter that I found on her site.  Admittedly, I will have to make a few more minor adjustments to her recipe for the altitude since the loaf fell a bit in the middle.  When I baked the initial loaf I reduced the yeast by -1/4 teaspoon and will reduce it by another -1/4 teaspoon to hopefully achieve a loaf with a beautiful cap crust.  However, even though it fell a bit the texture was spot on and it was light and aromatic.

I've fed the starter and it is sitting in the corner of the kitchen bubbling away.  I'm sure I will be baking another loaf this week when my darling gets back home since his love of sourdough bread is what started this journey in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. Great job!! Like so many things you tackled that challenge head on. I have no doubt you'll be baking all sorts of yummy treats in no time.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?

For your reading pleasure