Father's Day Keepsake

A quick note to my darling husband ... if you happen to be reading this before Sunday, June 17, 2012 STOP HERE!

Now for those of you whom I am not married to and do not share the joy of raising our 4 boys with ... carry on reading.



Having just finished the remodel of our master suite and saving for our trip to Disney World later this summer lead me to a cash crunch down for Father's Day gift giving.  We are lucky that the Dad in our family is sentimental making coming up with a keepsake craft for his special day easy.  I love crafts that feature finger prints, hand prints and thumb prints.  Somehow it reminds me of the messes they make along the way and the way I cherish their uniqueness.  We used thumb prints for teacher's gift bookmarks that I should blog about, but back to our subject at hand (pun intended) ... Handprint Keepsake.

Supplies:
Collage Photo Frame
Card Stock
Washable Ink Pad
Children's Hands
Hand Soap
Sink
Towel

Step One:  Purchase the Collage Photo/Picture Frame with the number of openings that you need (in our case we needed 4, but not there are only 3 displayed ... a little math and I was able to determine I could make 4 fit in the frame).


Step Two:  Cut the card stock to fit your photo openings.  For my project I cut the 8.5" X 11" card stock in half along the long side resulting in two pieces of 8.5" X 5.5" card stock.  (The size of your paper will need to change based on the photo openings - most are 4"X6" or 5"X7".)  Cut extras for practice and fun ...


Step Three:  Have your child(ren) wash and dry their hands throughly.

Step Four:  Take one hand and gently cover the palm, fingers and finger tips with ink using the washable ink pad.


Step Five:  Make the hand print.  (I would suggest making a few extra for other projects and just in case the first one doesn't come out quite right.)


Step Six:  Repeat until all children have been printed (all 4 of ours wouldn't fit in the camera frame).



Step Seven:  Add a notation to the bottom of each print with the child's name and age at the time of the print.



Step Eight:  Assemble in age order into the collage frame (I edited the photo to remove the names and ages for the blog shot).



Comments

  1. Hi! I added you to my blog roll and would love it if you would do the same for mine. Glad you discovered me and hope you will be encouraged by our journey through adoption.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?