The Origin of the "Nicknames"

Merriam-Webster defines NICKNAME when used as a noun as follows:  "a usually descriptive name given instead of or in addition to the one belonging to a person, place or thing".  Well, "instead of" fits our needs well.  I wanted to protect our children as they grow into adulthood.  Wouldn't it be terrible for a prospective spouse or boss to change their mind about one of our children because of something that I wrote about them.  Then they really would end up in counseling over something their Mom said.

Our oldest already had a nickname.  In fact, he had two.  I found out when I called our first foster baby by "his (nick) name" that he had a favorite.  Since that time he has been my SugarBear.  Next in line are LoveBug, HoneyBunny and JellyBean.  There is an explanation for each name.  LoveBug was delighted to find out that ladybugs do not bite, but that they love to be held and tickle you with their legs - thus, we now have our LoveBug.  Next there is HoneyBunny.  Grandma loves honey and HoneyBunny loves Grandma and bouncing around the house, so it was a natural match.  Lastly, my little JellyBean.  Jellybeans may just be my favorite candy and there are as many flavor options as my JellyBean has giggles and laughs.  No matter what your mood there is always a jellybean to match it.

For those of you that know our children they are listed in birth order from oldest to youngest:  SugarBear (SB), LoveBug (LB), HoneyBunny (HB) and JellyBean (JB).

Comments

  1. I love that you started a blog. It will be a great way to keep in touch. I can't wait to see some pictures of your new home and how your little guys are growing. It is funny that I thought I knew you so well but I had no idea about those cute nicknames.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?